Mandatory Water Restrictions in California
Will they affect The Sea Ranch too?
As you know California is in the midst of one of its worse draughts. Today I received a memo regarding mandatory water restrictions in California. Most of these will not affect Abalone Bay or you, our renters. But we do want you to be made aware of them. Additionally, while these restrictions apply to The Sea Ranch Water Company, it should not be implied that The Sea Ranch is suffering from a water shortage. Sea Ranch water supplies remain adequate for domestic purposes, and our customers are encouraged to enjoy normal water use activities except as restricted below:
The California Public Utilities Commission and the California State Water Resources Control Board have required The Sea Ranch Water Company to notify all customers of the mandatory restrictions on water use recently enacted by the State of California. Those restrictions include:
1) Watering outdoor landscapes in a way that causes water to runoff onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking areas or structures;
2) Watering outdoor landscaping more than twice each week;
3) Washing a vehicle with a hose without a shut off nozzle;
4) Using drinking water to wash driveways, walkways and other such surfaces;
5) Using drinking water in a fountain or other decorative device except where water is recirculated.
These water restrictions in California will remain in place until April 2015, unless lifted by Executive Order. Violation of these restrictions and prohibitions may be punished by a fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500.00) for each day the violation occurs.
Please note that this notification of the water restrictions in California is a requirement of the state in response to the exceptional drought in many parts of California. Most, if not all, of the conditions listed above may not apply to typical water usage on The Sea Ranch, but water company customers should nonetheless be mindful.