Our Commitment to the Environment
We are passionate about minimizing our impact on the environment. Therefore it makes sense we fell in love with The Sea Ranch. As a community, all its members strive to “live lightly on the land.” We also encourage our guests to help us have a lighter touch here and on our planet in general. Collaborating with ethical organizations, local businesses, and guests, we try to make Abalone Bay as green as possible.
As a result of our commitment, we hope you too share our passion for environmental sustainability. Please explore below how we have committed our business to environmental sustainability. This is a project in the making. We anticipate increasing our action list as we progress.
You Can Participate Too
Where you see a linked phrase, we invite you to click and learn more about the site and how you too can participate directly.
- Obviously, as a result of being 99% energy efficient, we installed an electric tankless water heater
- Of course, there are free charging points are available for guests with electric cars
- Next in our plans this year is the purchase of an electric car – watch this space!
- We buy appliances with a high energy rating to lower our power use
- Of course, we optimize the management of nature’s airflow using Vellux skylights, windows and sliding glass doors to keep cool in the summer
- Our light bulbs are all LED to limit our power use. We are proud to highlight the LED light built right into our living room floor. lamp. The integrated LED lights are more energy-efficient and can last up to 50,000 hours!
- First and foremost, we use cleaning products that have refillable bottles, so no single-use plastic
- We provide filtered water for our guests to encourage fewer bottled water purchases
- Without a doubt, we recycle everything we can
- Reusable shopping bags are provided for our guests, making shopping less dependent on plastic bags
- Our septics tank release nutrients back into the ground
- We use toilet paper from Who gives a Crap made from recycled paper and their profits go to build toilets in developing countries
- Our default search engine is Ecosia this finances tree planting around the world
- We use FSC® paper products
- First, we use an Eco-friendly web hosting
- In collaboration with our guests, plus National Forest Foundation’s 50 Million for Our Forests campaign and OneTreePlanted, we plant trees to combat climate change
- We help guests to calculate their holiday carbon footprint and give them a solution to offset this by planting trees.
- Ethical businesses that also give back to their community are our choice of partners
- We gift items that also support actions to reduce our carbon footprint