Are you a private pilot looking for new fly-in locations? Then consider The Sea Ranch private airstrip. Book Abalone Bay for your vacation stay. Then contact us and we will gladly arrange for pick-up from the private airstrip to Abalone Bay.
Regulations for Fly-ins to The Sea Ranch
Sea Ranch’s private airstrip is for the use of Sea Ranch Association members, their invites, and their renters. Parked aircraft MUST display a valid Sea Ranch owner’s decal, or a valid personal ID card, or a valid Sea Ranch vehicle hang tag clearly visible to Sea Ranch security personnel. Association members and rental agencies must provide this ID to their pilot invitees. When you check in to Abalone Bay our property manager will provide you with the necessary tag for your aircraft.
Charter a Private Jet for Your Fly-ins
Or if you prefer to have a private jet fly you in to The Sea Ranch, Priority One Jets offers The Sea Ranch Private Jet Charter and Air Charter Service. With just few hours-notice Priority One Jets is able to arrange any type of aircraft from The Sea Ranch or to The Sea Ranch regardless of the number of passengers.
Need a Ride to Abalone Bay and About Town?
There are no courtesy cars available at The Sea Ranch Airstrip at the time of this writing. However, there are Uber drivers happy to help you get from the airport to Abalone Bay. You may contact me directly at Donna@SeaRanchAbaloneBay.com or call at 707-490-8291 for recommendations of drivers.
Private Pilot Fly-ins Details:
For specific updates on Fly-ins see The Sea Ranch Association Airstrip Briefing file(pdf)
FAA Identifier: CA51
- 38-42-16.6830N / 123-25-57.0310W
- 38-42.278050N / 123-25.950517W
- 38.7046342 / -123.4325086
Elevation: 360 ft. / 109.7 m (surveyed)
Variation: 16E (1985)
From city: 3 miles N of THE SEA RANCH, CA
Time zone: UTC -7 (UTC -8 during Standard Time)
Zip code: 95497
Airport use: Private use. Permission required prior to landing
Sectional chart: SAN FRANCISCO
ARTCC: OAKLAND CENTER
FSS: OAKLAND FLIGHT SERVICE STATION
Wind indicator: yes
Segmented circle: yes
Nearby radio navigation aids
VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var
ENIr183/22.2 MENDOCINO VORTAC 112.30 16E
STSr276/31.5 SANTA ROSA VOR/DME 113.00 16E
Airframe service: NONE
Powerplant service: NONE
Bottled oxygen: NONE
Bulk oxygen: NONE
Dimensions: 2600 x 40 ft. / 792 x 12 m
Surface: asphalt, in good condition
Weight bearing capacity: Single wheel:
RUNWAY 12 RUNWAY 30
Elevation: 340.0 ft. 338.0 ft.
Gradient: 0.1% 0.1%
Traffic pattern: right right
Displaced threshold: no 300 ft.
Markings: basic, in fair condition basic, in fair condition
Runway end identifier lights: no no
Obstructions: hill, 700 ft. from runway, 8:1 slope to clear trees hill, 3200 ft. from runway, 12:1 slope to clear
+TV TWR 1.5 MILES & 300′ LEFT OF CNTRL RWY 30 APCH END LGTD: 1015′ MSL.
Airport Ownership and Management from official FAA records
Owner: THE SEA RANCH ASSOCIATION
P.O. BOX 16
THE SEA RANCH, CA 95497
Manager: JOHN PRESCOTT, OPS MGR
P.O. BOX 16
THE SEA RANCH, CA 95497
Airport Operational Statistics
Aircraft based on the field: 9
Single engine airplanes: 8
Multi engine airplanes: 1
–200-FOOT OVERRUN EACH END RWY 12/30.
-FLD CONDS–TWYS SOME WEATHERING-GOOD; APRON FAIR.
-ALL AIRCRAFT W/ACCELERATE-STOP DISTANCE EXCESS OF 2300 FEET, PROHIBITED FROM USING ARPT.
-RWYS 12/30 LEFT TURN AFTER TKOF.
There are no published instrument procedures at CA51.
Some nearby airports with instrument procedures:
O60 – Cloverdale Municipal Airport (21 nm E)
KUKI – Ukiah Municipal Airport (27 nm NE)
1O2 – Lampson Field Airport (30 nm NE)
KSTS – Charles M. Schulz – Sonoma County Airport (31 nm E)
KLLR – Little River Airport (37 nm NW)
Sea Ranch Association Airstrip Briefing
- 2600 ft. by 40 ft. Runway has a 300 ft. displaced threshold
- Runway Hump in middle-prevents seeing traffic or deer at end
- Turkeys and deer are frequently on or near the runwaysA 25 foot AWOS Tower is near the main windsock
- On gusty days expect wind shear, turbulence & loss of lift on short final
- No Straight-ins
- No Base entries.
- Announce all intentions on 122.9
Runway 30 approach:
- Enter right upwind at midfield.
- Check for deer, turkeys, or people on runway then right crosswind to right downwind to right base to final.
Runway 12 approach:
- Airstrip license specifies that approach to
- Runway 12 be “…angled 15° westerly of runway…” i.e. from Pool and
- Tennis Courts (1 mile up the coast from Runway 12), turn to 105 and
- proceed to Runway 12.
- Arrivals Always use right traffic. DeparturesAlways use left traffic.
- No operations between local sunset and sunrise
- No touch and goes
- Uncertified AWOS info available at 707-785-9999 or by 5 clicks on 122.9