Dog friendly Abalone Bay wants to make sure have everything you need to know to plan vacation for your next holiday. Abalone Bay is a pet friendly vacation rental. Abalone Bay is a dog friendly vacation rental that loves to pamper your dog. We provide a luxurious pet throw for furniture protection. Your dog will cuddle in it when the fog creeps in.
Dogs on Vacation!
I would highly recommend Abalone Bay for your next Sea Ranch vacation – and if you have dogs you MUST bring them!
Cheryl B from Rescue, California
As owners of two dogs, we understand how important it is to bring the whole family along on vacation! Sadly there are not many Sea Ranch pet friendly vacation rentals to be found. That is why Abalone Bay is a dog friendly vacation rental. Just check out our reviews from previous guests.
You’ll find here our rules for dogs at pet friendly Abalone Bay as well as a few helpful hints for traveling with your dog.
Dog Friendly Amenities
Abalone Bay offers amenities not only for you, but also for your dog! Your dog and you will certainly have a great time knowing we have included his needs in our home too.
- Special welcome packet presented by pet friendly Beach Rentals, our property management company
- Throw blanket to protect furniture- please do not have pets on the furniture without it
- Floor welcome mat to wipe paws on when coming in from the beach- works well on your “paws” too
- Food/water dishes (small and large)
- Feeding dishes and dining floor mat for large and small dogs
- Poop bags for ease of cleaning up after your pet
- Dog gate that fits between the dining room and kitchen upon request
- Old towels found in the laundry room for cleaning paws
Requirements for Guests with Dogs:
While Abalone Bay and Sea Ranch in general is dog friendly, there are specific rules that you must follow. By knowing the rules ahead of time will assure you and your dog have a happy vacation together.
- At the time of booking, please inform our property manager at Beach Rentals if you plan to bring your dog.
- A $40 per dog, per reservation fee applies. Abalone Bay has a 2 dog limit.
- Please take extra care to dry and clean dog paws prior to entering the home.
- Out of respect for our home and furnishings, please do not allow your dog on the furniture.
- If your dog insists on getting on the furniture, please take the time to cover the furniture piece with the provided sheet cover or our pet throw.
- Your dog must be on a leash when not in our courtyard
- Do not leave your dog alone at any time. If you need a pet-sitter consider Desert Sky Pet Care
- Your pet must not bark or otherwise disturb the neighbors. Security may be called if the dog is too loud
- Please feed your dog inside Abalone Bay. Do not leave food in the courtyard. Raccoons and other scavenger animals will enter the yard and have entered homes.
PET FRIENDLY TRAVELING CHECKLIST
- Carrier or crate – We strongly recommend you crate your pet when staying at Abalone Bay
- Sturdy, well-fitting nylon or leather collar or harness, license tag, ID tag(s) and leash
- Birth certificate and other required documents
- Food and water dishes – Abalone Bay provides small dishes and a floor pad
- Manual can opener and spoon for canned food for when you are on the road-Abalone Bay provides both manual and electric openers
- An ample supply of food, plus a few days’ extra
- Medication, if necessary
- Healthy treats
- A blanket or other bedding – Abalone Bay has a throw for the sofa and a box of old towels in the laundry room. Please do not let your pets on the furniture with out it.
- Litter supplies and plastic bags for on the road- Abalone Bay provides litter bags. Guests must pick up after their pet to avoid added cleaning charges.
- Favorite toys
- Chewing preventative – To keep your dog from teething on the furniture
- Grooming supplies as needed
- First-aid kit
- A recent photograph and a written description, including microchip number, name, breed, gender, height, weight, coloring and distinctive markings
- We strongly recommend your pet’s rabies vaccinations are up to date. Be sure you keep children and pets from approaching or touching wild or strange animals.
DOG LEASH REQUIRED WHILE AT SEA RANCH
Please note in respect for nature- while on The Sea Ranch all dogs are required to be kept on a leash — but what a perfect place to bring your canine companion. With over 40 miles of hiking trails, secluded beaches – with your dog on a leash he can enjoy the gifts of nature, get outdoors and exercise his nose with a banquet of countryside aromas.
TICKS AND OTHER HAZARDS
While hiking beware of ticks. Unlike the Northeast, ticks are active year around in California. One can get Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases at any time of the year. Coastal areas such as Sea Ranch are considered high risk areas. Yet Sonoma County Health Services only counted 7 confirmed human cases in 2014.
It is important to stay on the marked trails and out of the meadow grasses to avoid ticks and comply with The Sea Ranch Association Rules and Regulations for the community of The Sea Ranch. Do be sure to check your pet (and yourselves) for ticks after your hikes before entering Abalone Bay.
Learn more about ticks in Sonoma County .
See our blog posts about dogs and ticks:
KEEP YOUR DOG WITH YOU
Pets should be with you as much as possible during your stay so they do not bark and whine longingly for you or get into mischief while you are away. If you must leave a pet alone, we recommend leaving them in the garage in a pet crate or cage designed for them.
If your dog barks loudly the neighbors will notify The Sea Ranch Security. Once notified the security is obligated to visit the situation. You can be requested to leave if the dog is considered a nuisance.
Learn more: Telegraph News- Dogs left at home alone ‘as traumatized as children’
DOG FRIENDLY PARK
There is a dog park located at the The Sea Ranch offering the perfect and safe spot for your dog to run, sniff and socialize. To get to the park from Highway One, turn east on Deer Trail (Mile Marker 56.88) and drive a short distance to the first rock driveway on the right and park within the fenced in area. Take the walking path east to the dog park.
You’ll note that on the other side of Coast Highway 1 is Del Mar Recreation Center.
For information about other dog friendly hikes in the Mendonoma region visit www.NatureDogs.com – California Regions: Sonoma County (Bay Area) and Mendocino County (North Coast).
Other Dog Friendly Resources
VETERINARY AND PET SERVICES
Should your dog require attention from a veterinarian while staying at The Sea Ranch:
Dr. Steve Bohn, DVM, Gualala Veterinary Clinic
38460 South Highway 1, Gualala, CA 95445
Phone: (707) 884-3313
The Gualala Veterinary Clinic is a full service veterinary clinic serving the Mendocino and Sonoma coastal area.
Emergency 24/7 veterinary care is also available in Santa Rosa – check the internet for providers.
Redwood Coast Humane Society, P.O. Box 1072, Gualala, CA 95445
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (707) 884-1304
The Redwood Coast Humane Society location provides pet adoption assistance, lost and found support and spay & neuter services. This is a small facility providing adoption services primarily for cats with some limited referral for dogs.
Pet Sitters / Groomers / Boarding
There are a few pet groomers and pet sitters as well as a pet boarding facility in the area. Your best resource for information on pet groomers and pet sitters are your pet-owning neighbors and the local veterinary clinic and Humane Society office.
Pawsitevely Gook K9 Grooming: We have used Pawsitevely Gook K9 Grooming for our Maltese’s beauty needs and can whole heartily recommend it for your pets holiday grooming needs. Owner and groomer, Aida Sol is wonderful with your pet and a miracle worker when it comes to eliminating evidence of a close encounter of the skunk kind.
Located at 39150 Ocean Drive, Suite, Gualala, CA 95445.
Call for an appointment at 707-321-0779.
Bed & Bone Kennel: Need to board your dog while in Sea Ranch? We can whole heartily recommend Bed & Bone, dog and cat boarding facility in Point Arena (15-20 miles North of The Sea Ranch.). Click here for map. We boarded our two dogs there and were extremely pleased with the care they gave them.
Phone: (707) 882-2429
OTHER HELPFUL HINTS FOR PET FRIENDLY TRAVELING
Laws on Securing Animals While Being Transported in Vehicles
While there are no federal laws restricting travel with your pet, many states however have specific restrictions. Many have laws specifically requiring animals to be secured when being transported in an open area of a vehicle. In some cases, the laws apply only to dogs. None of the laws require the animal to be restrained or secured if inside an enclosed part of the vehicle. It is best to review the state(s) you will be traveling in for their specific laws, especially as laws and regulations are frequently updated.
California (see CA Motor Vehical Code 23117) requires all animals to be restrained or contained when being transported on a load-bearing part of the vehicle, unless the space is enclosed. Drivers who break this law may incur fines anywhere from $50 to $200.
Below are links to advise on traveling with your dog
- Pointers for traveling with your pet- AAA
- Travel Safely with Your Pet by Car, Airplane, Ship, or Train . Humane Society
PET FRIENDLY SKIES: USA Federal Aviation Guides
Airport Doggy Stops
Even The U. S.Department of Transportation (DOT) is dog friendly! Regulations designed to help airplane passengers with service animals went info effect May 13, 2009. All USA airlines must make sure there are pet relief areas, and escorts to those relief areas, for any passenger traveling with a service animal. Airlines and airports have been instructed to work together to make this happen. Airports everywhere are creating, upgrading and expanding pet relief areas that are open to all.
- USA Map with information about airport doggy stop locations
- Airports offer relief for you and your pet
BE CERTAIN YOU CHECK FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS THAT FOR ALL LEGS OF YOUR TRIP! Many airlines will restrict travel for animals if the weather is too hot or cold.
WEBSITES SPECIFICALLY FOR TRAVELING WITH YOUR DOG
- DogTrekker.com: Provides information on dog friendly locations in Northern and Central California.
- BringFido.com: A dog travel directory that provides unbiased reviews, detailed pet policy information, and online reservations at more than 25,000 pet friendly hotels through a partnership with Travelocity.
- PetsWelcome.com A dog travel directory with added resources
- DogVacay.com Online resource to locate dog sitters in your neighborhood
- Rover.com Online resource to locate dog sitters in your neighborhood